Trademark Registration in Cambodia
- Full name, address and nationality of the applicant;
- Description of the trademark: meaning, colors claimed, translation or transliteration of characters into English if the mark contains foreign characters;
- List of goods/services to be covered by the trademark and if possible, the class(es) of the respective goods/services according to the International Classification;
- Country, application number and filing date of the original foreign application from which the priority is claimed (if a priority is claimed).
- A notarized Power of Attorney from the applicant (as the attached form); (A copy of notarized Power of Attorney is required at the time of filing trademark application, the original one can be submitted within one month from the filing date without any arising fees);
- 20 specimens of the mark (the size of each specimen is not smaller than 15mm x 15mm and not larger than 80mm x 80mm);
- Certified copy of documents for claiming priority and English translation thereof (if any).
- A trademark application can cover more than one class of goods or services as per the international classifications.
- It usually takes 8-10 months from the filing date to obtain a Trademark Registration Certificate in Cambodia. However, due to current workload at Intellectual Property of Department of Cambodia, the time is usually prolonged.
- The term of trademark protection in Cambodia is 10 years from the filing date. The registered mark is renewable for unlimited times, each of 10 years.
- The trademark owner will be obliged to use the trademark in Cambodia. At the end of each period of 5 years from the registration date, an Affidavit of Use/Non-Use is required to be lodged with the Cambodian Trademark Office. If no Affidavit of Use/Non-Use is lodged, the trademark will be vulnerable to cancellation at a third party’s request.
FILING GUIDANCE FOR RENEWAL OF TRADEMARK REGISTRATION IN CAMBODIA
- A original notarized Power of Attorney from the trademark owner (as the attached form); ( pdf file) ( doc file )
- The copy of the trademark registration(s).
According to the trademark regulation in Cambodia, prior to proceeding renewal of the registration certificate(s), after the 5th year or within the 6th year of the trademark registration, the trademark owner has to file an Affidavit of Use (as attached form( pdf file ) ( doc file )) endorsed if the registered trademark has been used or an Affidavit of Non-use (as attached form ( pdf file ) ( doc file )) if the registered trademark has not been used in Cambodia. If this work was done, copies of the Trademark Certificate(s) and 15 specimens of the Trademark (if the trademark is in colour or a device);
In case the Affidavit of Use/Non-use has not been endorsed yet, the trademark owner is required to send the original Trademark Certificate(s) and the Affidavit for endorsement (with payment of fine for late submission of Affidavit) and after that the trademark owner is allowed to apply for the renewal;
If no Affidavit of Use/Non-use is lodged, the trademark registration will be vulnerable to cancellation at a third party’s request.
Vietnam – International Patent, Trademark & Copyright Law Firm
Hanoi-Head Office: 54 Tran Quoc Vuong Street,
Cau Giay District, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Tel : (84-24) 3 7628119 * (84-24) 3 7628185
Fax : (84-24) 3 7628120 * (84-24) 3 7628526
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com